Saturday, July 07, 2007

Finding that Right stuff

Studying medicine...Anything glamorous? Ask any medical students around..
If not , why study?
I think we don't study just for the sake of being called Dr. XXX . And not to bask in that shining glomour ( if there is any). Also not to earn that meagre few thousand ringgit (who said doctors are rich?)
I think we are just finding the Right stuff for ourselves. I read medicine because i enjoy what i am doing. I am interested. I find human body fascinating. I take challenges. I like to work under pressure. I am a workaholic. I abhor mundance 9 to 5 office job.
There are so many things around that you can do. The world is not occupied by lawyers , doctors and engineers only. We have entered Globalisation 3.0 where everything is possible. Anything imaginable can be done. Heard of Search Engine Optimiser(SEO)? Google search it yourself.
Quoting from Thomas L. Friedman in his book "The World is Flat" :
CQ + PQ > IQ
CQ - curiosity quotient
PQ - passion quotient
IQ - intelligence quotient
So curiosity and passion are the motivations that keep us going , rather than just scoring high.
And most importantly is a paradigm shift in parents mentality. Asking the kids to ask a good question a day is more important than asking them how much they score. Inject the right motivation to spark the right interest , so that they find the Right stuff in life!

No comments: